Join us in bringing inspiration, innovation, culture & equity to education.
MILO Course Facilitator
Do you want to topple the systemic inequities that Black and brown kids face in schools? Do you believe every kid has the right to a great virtual classroom experience? Do you want to work with a diverse team of dope people?
We at MILO are looking to hire a team of Facilitators to deliver our experiential Certified Online Training for Equity and Impact program. This 6-week program provides teachers with training and ongoing support on how to teach effectively and equitably online.
At MILO, we’re building a movement to transform how students experience school. Our mission is to educate underserved students in grades 6-12, leveraging trained and highly skilled teachers in online learning environments. Combining culture and engagement, we will eradicate inequalities in education so every kid in every zip code has access to a first-class education.
The global pandemic has forced our entire school system to jump into the world of online education. The messy transition to remote learning has magnified glaring disparities among schools and students. Many are struggling to adapt to this new reality even as experts predict that online and hybrid learning will be the irreversible norm of 21st Century schooling.
Early evidence shows that old inequities are being exacerbated as schools struggle to meet the technological and pedagogical demands of the time. As the start of new academic sessions approach, many school systems must rapidly increase their capacity to provide quality virtual learning experiences that meet global standards of equity and impact.
To do so, they must begin by providing teachers with the skills and supports they need to effectively engage students online for equity and impact. And that’s where we come in.
The MILO Method
Developed by an esteemed Harvard trained educator, and endorsed by UCLA’s Center for the Transformation of Schools, the MILO Method has been used to train over 1,000 educators on effective online pedagogy that centers equity to increase engagement and impact especially for students of color.
Our 6-week experiential Certified Online Training for Equity and Impact Program provides teachers with training and ongoing support for teaching effectively online with a strong equity lens. Beyond navigating tools and mastering technology, our training builds teachers’ equity lens and provides teachers with practical strategies for infusing the glue that makes online learning sticky.
We also help teachers mine the gold that leads to high student attendance and performance.
Our Facilitators will lead online seminars about equity and engagement and provide a high-touch experience for a cohort of 50-80 educators.
This role will be an independent contractor role and will require 15-20 hours per week on average for 8-10 weeks. There will also be an opportunity to continue in the role for future cohorts of the course.
Specifically, responsibilities of the Facilitator include:
- Facilitate synchronous discussion seminars for up to 50-80 participant educators
- Hold one-on-one or small group office hours for participant teachers
- Maintain a high-touch experience with a cohort of 50-80 participant educators, including:
- Engaging with participant teachers in the community message boards
- Reviewing and providing feedback on participants’ assignments
- Following and tracking participants’ progression through the course
- Share feedback and suggestions for future content revisions
We’re looking for folks with the following mindsets, skills, and experience:
- A belief that all students can be brilliant contributors to a classroom
- Passion and dedication to disrupting systemic inequities for black and brown kids
- Practice and courage to initiate, facilitate, and sustain conversations about race and equity
- A growth mindset and assets-first lens
- Five or more years teaching experience, ideally including teaching underserved students
- Experience facilitating adult learners, with experience coaching or supporting teachers preferred
- Experience facilitating online learning is a plus
- Facility with navigating an online learning system
Pay is commensurate with experience.
If this sounds like you, get in touch! You can reach us at [email protected]. Please include your resume and a few sentences about why you’re interested in the role and in being part of Team MILO.